Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: American Girl Magazine questions

  1. #1
    rolloverrover
    Guest rolloverrover's Avatar

    Question

    My niece is turning 9 soon and I'm thinking of giving her a subscription. I have a couple of questions.

    My niece is not into dolls. Are there a lot of tie-ins to the AG dolls within the magazine?

    My niece is not a real girly girl. Does the magazine cater to mainly girly girls, or does it cover the broad range of girl types?

    Do you know a girl who receives this magazine? Does she look forward to receiving it? Does she think it's kind of boring?

    Thanks for any help.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 19, 2005 01:58 PM: Message edited by: SugarMagnolia ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MissMooMoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2005
    Posts
    451
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got american girl the first three years it was out an I liked it - I think I was 11-12-13 or so.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member nicolej's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2003
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We love the magazine!!! I have a 9 year old and 13 year old and they really look forward to getting it!! We get it at Micheal's (craft store) so maybe you could look at it before you order a subscription. There is nothing about dolls in it - which of course we find disappointing!! It is not overly girly - there's crafts, party ideas, games, puzzles, stories, jokes, cooking, posters, decorating, lots of ideas of things to do/make. I really like it because it is not too mature!!! Do you ever get a mini one in your order? Take out a magnifying glass and see what you think!! [img]smile.gif[/img] (Of course that's only a few pages from an issue - they are usually about 50 pages.)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member CasualAGFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2005
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    American Girl magazine actually has some articles about girls who are into sports and stuff, so, no, I don't think it's overly girly-girly. It's a really good magazine for girls 8-10-ish, but, unfortunately, they do tend to outgrow it before they turn 12. When they feel they're too old for AG but you still think they're too young for a traditional teen mag, I reccomend Discovery Girls, Girls' Life, and New Moon.
    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    It must have changed a lot since I used to get it because I got it until my 13th birthday, when I stopped getting magazines completely. I still used to check out every issue from the library until I was probably 14 or so. I wish I could afford magazines now, there's a couple I'd definitely get, lol.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got one at Bath and Body Works during my trip and gave it to Kamilla - she liked it. She's also 9. In that issue they had a spread about hair-do's, which she tried right away and we've read the stories written by girls together too. I thought it was rather nice that they have this competition for girls to write a story with a theme given and the two winning stories are being printed in the magazine.

    Somehow I did feel it's a bit more geared towards 11/12 year olds - most of the girls featured were that age group.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member AGDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2005
    Posts
    442
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There is nothing in the magazine about dolls.

    It has some sports stuff. Some of it is about pets, you can send in pictures for different projects. The one I got for September/October had different kinds of schools girls go to. There is always activites.

    I get the magazine and so does my cousin. We always look forward to getting it. I think it is the best magazine because it has chances to win things and to be in the magazine. For november/december girls have a chance to be on the cover. It keeps me entertained for a few hours the day I get it. A week later I always take it out and read it again, and again, and again.

    Hope this Helps.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by kayakacey04:
    There is nothing in the magazine about dolls.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do they not have stories about the characters anymore?

  9. #9
    rolloverrover
    Guest rolloverrover's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks, everyone, for the comments and help. I will go to Michaels and thumb through the latest copy. For some reason I figured the magazine was "subscription only."

    CasualAGFan: I had never heard of the magazine New Moon. I checked their web site out. Maybe that would be more her speed.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member colettedenali's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2004
    Posts
    426
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, the AG magazine no longer has the historical characters' short stories- the reason I subscribed back when it started.

    It's also missing the Imagine section- the part with a painting of a young girl. I loved the magazine when it first came out! One of my friends was in it in own of the advice sections. It definitely motivated me to write to the magazine to write stories.

    I am very impressed with the lack of advertising. Girls need as little of that as possible, in my opinion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •